Sunday, September 4, 2011

Greetings from Salt Lake City


Thursday, September 1, 2011
Today we drove from the Grand Teton Nat’l Park to Salt Lake City, a distance of slightly over 300 miles.  The scenery along WY 26 was absolutely beautiful as it tracked alongside the Snake River.  Once into Star Valley, things flattened out and all you saw were ranches, cattle, and horses.  Many small towns along the way with populations below 200, but covering many square miles.

As promised we hit those big grades on I-80 at Parley’s Summit.  5 to 6% grades, about 3 miles of them.  I was holding 40 to 45 in 2nd gear 5000 rpm.  Trans went to 220F.  We were also in a big headwind, so I just couldn’t get my speed back.  I was hoping to hold 50 mph.  The eastbound side had far more hills and climbs.  We were already at 6000 ft, climbing to 7000 ft, but eastbound was about 4500, so they had to climb 2500 ft.

Overall for that segment I averaged about 9 mpg.  On the raft trip we met a young family from Howell, MI.  They are traveling in a 2 year old 32 ft RV built on Ford E450 van cutaway.  They have the V10 with 4 spd trans.  They have been averaging 6 mpg, and I am sure they are lighter than us in total.  They also pay the fuel penalty continuously, no towed car for touring.  Unhooked I’m getting about 16 – 17 mpg.  So I feel pretty good about our combo.

We are at the Salt Lake City KOA.  This place is like a resort!  Especially compared with the NP campgrounds.  Even had an RV wash, so we gave the Sundance a bath, it really needed it.


Friday, September 2, 2011
Two items on the agenda today, Bingham Copper Mine and Antelope Island.  The Bingham (actually Kennecott Bingham) Mine is now owned by Rio Tinto, a company in the UK.  More US dollars going overseas.  They produce 20% of the copper for North America, the pit is 3 miles across and ¾ mile deep.  Been around for 100+ years.  The amazing thing is the pit was at one time a mountain! It is the largest manmade excavation in the World, and can be seen from outer space.  Brought back some memories of the mines I visited.  Their haul trucks are now 320 ton capacity.  They were 240 ton when I was looking at them.  Caterpillar and Komatsu are the makes today.  Some pictures follow.
The Pit
                                          One big Michelin eh?

We then went to Antelope Island State Park located in the Great Salt Lake.  Whew, talk about a nasty place.  The Lake was once an ocean, then Bonneville Lake.  It is fed fresh water from rain and snow melt, but there is no out flow.  Anything going in stays there.  Over time the water is evaporating.  It is loaded with brine shimp and brine flies which birds feed on.  It is the largest aviary in North America.  So guess where all the poop goes?  I expected this clear blue lake that I was going to swim in, but after seeing and smelling it, the most I put in there is my toes!


There are buffalo and antelope on the Island.  The Island was used by the Mormons from 1848 to 1950s.  What possessed them to come to this island to farm and raise livestock is a mystery to us.  We know they were constantly hassled and seemed to seek out land no one else wanted.  Not only did they survive, but thrived here for over 100 years.  The Fielding Garr ranch still stands and can be toured.  We’re glad to get an up close look, and understanding of the Great Salt Lake.

Collecting a keepsake, don't drink this!

This 1950s Dodge was at Garr Ranch.  Looks like a Mecham Auction Special!



Saturday September 3, 2011
We visited Temple Square today, the campground is really convenient to downtown, about 2 miles away.  We attended an organ recital.  The organist was very good and the sound in the Tabernacle was awesome.  She played Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in d minor, one of my favorites, what a sound.  We visited all the buildings and displays.  Although I have been here a couple of times, it was Lynn’s first time.

We visited the Family History Museum, and I got some help with my family tree project.  I’ve gotten back on my mothers side to 1776 in Massachusetts, but having trouble going back further.  I was not able to make much progress, but got confirmation of what I have as correct and tips to try on going back further.  We plan to hear the choir tomorrow, so I may give it another shot tomorrow.


The Temple

Organ at the Taberrnacle (11,000 + pipes!)

The organist's console

11 foot Christus statue in North Visitor Center



No comments:

Post a Comment